Adventures in Living

Thursday, October 13, 2005

life goes on

Week Four here in Fara Fenni is some how more of the same, and yet, things roll along in their way. There are so many things but none of them stand out... I talked to my parents for the second time, as their lives have slowed down enough to catch hold of them. In fairness, they called me, and it was great to talk to them. Hearing about details of the world back there is always a double edged sword, and it brings into sharp contrast both the things that are not available here and the length of time stretched out in front of me. But, after a bit of melancholy, I came to see what an opportunity that time is, and how many things I can look forward to learning and experiencing in this vastly different setting.
One of the main tasks I work on these days is trying to get a feel for what resources exist here, and who might be willing to share those resources in exchange for my help. So far, I have found three places that have anything going on: the hospital, Karafi (a company who is building roads here), and MRC (a British medical research group). From my recent meetings with them, only the hospital is willing to play ball at this point, and they to a very limited extent. Other than that, I am hoping that I can build on what the high school has. The computer lab there consists of 18 computers, two air conditioners, and a massive generator that consumes 20 liters of diesel every three hours. It’s one of the best computer labs of any school in the country, and hopefully I can figure out some ways to extend its benefits. One of the problems right now is the cost of running the huge generator. It causes the classes to be priced out of a reasonable range for most students. Solutions to this problem are varied, but the first thing that strikes me is that the power company is promising the return of electricity to Fara Fenni within a couple months. I need to make a contact at Nawek – the power utility – in order to evaluate their progress, which certainly is far behind what has been promised, but might get finished in time for next year’s elections. That’s a rumor at least.
I am not sure how much I have written about the border being closed, but it was “supposed” to open up on Monday of this week. It hasn’t opened, and the list of things that are available only through black market channels is getting distressing long. Perhaps the rumors were based on some fact, and it may open soon. The road projects are all stalled, the power project must be as well, and the mouse’s holes in my house are unfixable. And those are just due to cement not being available. I would also like to see the border open just so I can know what Fara Fenni is like at full bore. I first came here a few weeks after it closed, and have only seen the dried up version. And with Ramadan, things are almost like a town in the old west at times during the day.
Speaking of Ramadan, it’s now seven, and the place has emptied for prayers and fast breaking. I feel great not having fasted all day, but the water thing catches up with me, as I don’t like to even carry water around during the day time. I will go home and drink a few liters. Until next time…

1 Comments:

  • SHUT UP... WE DON'T CARE
    I HAVE LIVED IN THE GAMBIA FOR 3 YEARS AND I DON'T HAVE THE NEED TO MAKE A DIATRIBE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home