Adventures in Living

Monday, January 02, 2006

Kombo has stickiness

Somewhere I remember reading about websites, or perhaps in this information age, all media, and how they tried to be "sticky" - hold people attention. Kombo is like that for volunteers in the Gambia. It's functionally a different reality than up country where most of us live. Power every day. Hot showers occasionally. Banking. Internet. Variety in our diets. Chances to spend all of our money. Alcohol. American friends. Freedom from Gambians tracking our schedules, making comments about our habits.
  So it's not such a surprise that we get stuck here occasionally. Even when people want to leave, they find that they have one more piece of business that has to happen before they can leave. In my case, it's banking. And now I am 72 hours into my wait to be able to get it done. Tomorrow morning is my big shot, I think. And then I hope to depart tomorrow around lunch time. God willing.
  Not that I plan to go far. School is officially reopening after the holiday break tomorrow, but because Tobaski is so close, no one will be there. So, I am going to revisit Brikama (at least that's my current plan, could be modified a dozen times between now and whenever then is) - where I went for volunteer visit during training, and got on the internet for the first time during training. A few friends live there, and I am hoping to play some basketball. And maybe find some kana, a spirit made from cashew juice. ...The things that motivate a man...
  It's been a great holiday season, I've had a lot of fun with my pals, and gotten done some of my work here. Now I am hoping to get back to Fara Fenni for some good work, cultural experiences, and more fun. And some rest, this vacation has taken a toll on my sleep patterns. All worth it, especially when I can go home to Fara Fenni and sleep in the beautiful cool season nights.
  The best part of my life right now may just be that I refer to Fara Fenni as "home". It is never going to be home like Lakewood, but it's enough to think of it that way a little bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home