Adventures in Living

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another one I wrote before and couldn't post

It's so much easier being back at this as a second year volunteer. Having gone through the cycle of seasons once, knowing what to expect, and knowing what range of unexpected things are likely to appear - a wide one, that, but still somehow comforting. And probably I'm more comfortable with the unknown these days. I'm certainly more comfortable here, more comfortable with myself. And that was one of the big reasons to do this adventure, to be away from everyone again. The chance to be forced to be myself, on my own, and figure it out. So, I'll put a check in that box, and realize it will uncheck itself over time, need more attention down the road.
  Some of the things that are easier: 1. knowing that after the rains end, as they seem to be doing, October will be hot but then it's gone, and we are back to the beautiful cool and dry. Only hot for a few hours a day, and not sticky very often at all. Heaven, in other words. 2. Knowing that I can take care of myself, nutritionally, healthfully, and mentally. It wasn't something that I particularly worried about (on a conscious level, at least) before coming here, but I realize now that I wasn't sure I'd be able to thrive here. 3. Having established relationships in town, in my compound, and with other volunteers. I have a big group of friends here - different groups really, Gambians, Peace Corps, and other people - and that certainly makes it more fun. It's certainly easier to do things, even though I find myself busier than I'd like most of the time. A good problem to have.
  I am keeping the Ramadan fast, which entails not eating or drinking from the morning prayer until the evening prayer. I get up at five to eat something and have water, then go back to sleep a bit before starting my day in earnest. The hard part is in the evening, from fiveish until half past seven or so when we break fast. It's a thirsty and supine time of day, makes me wish we were farther north so that the sun would set earlier. In any case, tea and bread with a bit of something is what the compound people eat then, followed by dinner between nine and half past. I think I prefer breaking fast with just water and less food, otherwise I can't eat dinner. Really, it's the water that I miss - I am forcing myself to drink about four liters between dusk and going to bed. But, so far (this is my third day fasting), the most bothersome part is the sleep cycle disruption. I'm not sleepy after eating a big meal, or perhaps know that I shouldn't just sleep, and then to get up at five is a bit rough. I'm enjoying it though - it feels like a good connection with the community, some insight into how they are getting on, and makes me more understanding when a headmaster falls asleep while we're meeting - even while he's talking.
  Our electricity continues to come on regularly - it seems to be two cycles of between five and seven hours each - which makes my life a lot nicer. I've recently started trying to organize a bunch of music on my hard drive, and having power to run my laptop whenever I choose is sweet. It makes me realize how many steps there are between no electricity and what we have back home, though. Like having a single water tap in the compound, the Gambia is taking small steps forward, with a lot of sliding back going on as well. Development is a strange animal.
  Thinking of home a lot these days - Henderson Harbor seems to have infected my brain, this is the first time I've ever not been there for a year straight - and hoping to buy tickets soon to fly home for the holidays. Hope everyone is well, and be in touch soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home