Adventures in Living

Friday, October 21, 2005

Busy Beaver

At the end of another week, I am busier and more full of comings and goings than I thought I would be. Last weekend I went to Pakalinding to visit Woman, and then on to Bambako to see my host family there, the villagers, and the new trainees. We rode there in a gele-gele (passenger bus thing), with our bikes on the top of the vehicle, and then came back on them. It was a great day, gorgeous nighttime ride back – we took longer than we thought and spent most of the ride under a full moon.
Sunday there were a couple of other visitors in Pakalinding, and the three volunteers who lived there gathered us all up for a great dinner – lentil soup, cucumber salad, bread, and some wine. It was great to hang out with everyone and have a good dinner. I came home Monday morning feeling refreshed, recharged, ready to take on this challenge with a new assertiveness.
The week has been good – one of the guys who had been in Pakalinding swung through town and helped me with my bike; he got all the kinks worked back out and it’s a pleasure to ride again. And I have been busy digging up work for myself. The senior secondary school (like high school) has some problems with the internet connection that I am helping to iron out. There is a small junior high school in town that is affiliated with the Anglican church which has some computers and wants me to work with them to get a program going. And there are other things going on.
Besides all that, I think I am getting better at not doing too much. Taking care of myself, getting my health in order, and making a life here. It’s a good project, and one that I am enjoying more and more. Besides the heat, which turned up a level of intensity for five days or so earlier this week, I am very happy. And the heat is only a problem when I don’t take steps to manage it, when I don’t factor it in correctly. Well, that and sleeping can be a problem sometimes when going to bed is a sweaty affair. But, that’s one of the tasks I live with, and it’s just life.
Tomorrow I am going on a whirlwind trip to Kalagi, hopefully coming back on Sunday. Then next weekend I am planning to go to Jangjang Burre / Georgetown for a boat party for Halloween. So there should be some fun on the way, and enough moving around to keep me from being bored. And then Ramadan ends the next week, which will be a relief to my peanut butter supply.
Things are good, I feel like I am making progress in the right directions, almost in spite of myself at times, and I enjoy a lot of the hours and days tremendously. And some others of them are there to cut the sweetness, like pickles at sugar on snow…

Love to all, Zac

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home