Adventures in Living

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

yesterday's news

So I jumped ship in Hong Kong, made my way to Tibet. Told em I was a looper, you know, a caddy...

One of my favorite movie quotes


Tonight is a beautiful night, and I am inside a fluorescent lit room, in front of a bunch of computer monitors. How did this happen in Africa? I suppose I will never quite escape geekdom. Tonight it's only more noticeable because I am worn out from my trip to Basse, smashing success that it was, and from waking before five this morning to finally get my ride back to the mighty FF. So I am a little loopy. A little more than usual. FF sounds so much mightier than Fara Fenni to me. I should put up a poll to see what the consensus is, among the seven different readers of this mess.

The hospital has its power back in order, and it seems that these classes with teachers from the middle school are going well. It's certainly an experience for me, working with people who know so little about typing, mousing, word processing, all things that I learned without remembered effort. I am trying to allow them to just figure it out, to find their own way. The problem is confidence – they don't have any, and they don't have enough of a baseline knowledge for me to have much to build on. Gambians mostly “learn” by rote memorization exclusively, and aren't given tools to teach themselves new skills very readily. I am constantly trying to figure out ways to break them out these habits, any suggestions highly welcome…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home