Adventures in Living

Friday, January 13, 2006

domain

I have been working on moving a web domain that I own to a new hosting provider, a project that I knew would be quite a bit more complicated than it is in the US, but it has proven to be even more interesting than I thought it would be. At any rate, I think I may have gotten the heavy lifting done – on my end at least, since I have foisted off the actual moving of data from the old domain onto my father, bless his willingness to follow me down rabbit holes – and now I’m just waiting for what’s going to happen when the actual switch happens. I suppose my email will just bounce for a bit, and I should send a message to that effect. But, I am going to try to get online one more time between now and the cutoff date, as I have the feeling that it will go as most substantial changes have gone in my internet career – a bit bumpy at first. It’s lovely to try to handle it from here.
  There is loads of other news – Tobaski has been filling my days since Wednesday, and I have been enjoying the cultural education. Mostly, people eat meat like the most carnivorous Americans do, and some give themselves stomach aches or worse because they aren’t used to it. We had three rams, and have been eating mutton at every meal since before lunch on Wednesday. Supposedly even tomorrow we will still have it all day, but I think we are finally getting to the end. I’m not sure how much detail I should go into, but let me mention that I will be posting a picture soon with a skull featured as part of the meal. They don’t waste very much of anything, it’s pretty cool to watch if you can divorce a part of your mind from considering the situation too fully.
  Other interesting news is that I was working with a pair of researchers from a university in the States who are coming here this summer to conduct a survey of behaviors and attitudes of grade ten students across The Gambia. One of them was a PCV here from ’79 to ’81, and has been back to do graduate level research and then to teach at University of The Gambia a number of times since. We had some interesting conversation about the state of this country, both then and now, and his impressions of the people and the situation. Twenty-five years is a very long time for this little place, but I don’t think much has changed substantively for many of the citizens, despite promises from probably dozens of aid and development organizations, and the overthrow of one (mostly useless) government for our current (…) one.
  I believe that the internet here has reached the cut my losses stage – actually it probably did over a half an hour ago – and so this may be another entry that is saved and filed another day. Perhaps just as well, as I don’t think I’m in such a positive mood to be able to write glowingly of things here. They are actually pretty good, and I will try to relate that the next time I write…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home