Adventures in Living

Monday, March 27, 2006

Ghana

So, now I'm here in Accra. We flew over yesterday after a couple days of Kombo trying to get things ready. When we arrived we realized that maybe we were a little too Peace Corps in our attitude - none of us brought a guide book, we didn't have any clear picture of what we were doing, and we were, in short, completely disorganized. But, my few travels with Toby have served me well and I was happy to be having adventures without structure. I am travelling with Amy Poff and Wendy Portman, they are both older than me, Wendy is pretty laid back within her comfort range, and Amy is not quite laid back about much. Flying, for example, is a real problem for her. I finally made a connection of who it reminded me - B.A. Barracus from the A Team. So, the hops down here - stops in Freetown and Monrovia - were adventures just in watching her white knuckle the takeoffs and landings. And, we saw a wrecked plane just off the runway in Freetown, which did wonders for her confidence.
  So, after an afternoon and evening roaming around a bit of Accra, we are going to try to get our bearings a bit more solidly and then head west down the coast today. The roads are so much nicer, and transport seems to be a bit more organized, so it may only be a two or three hour trip, instead of the six or eight the distance would take back in Gambia.
  The internet seems to be fairly available here, so I may try to make regular posts. And, it's faster! Whooo! So, we'll see.
  Love you all, having a blast and doing my thing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home