Adventures in Living

Thursday, March 16, 2006

solar!

Well, I just spent a big chunk of change on the pieces to get solar power running in my hut. After a good deal of discussion and figuring, I got two 100 amp hour batteries, a 25 amp charge controller and a 35 watt panel. The panel is small, and I will probably upgrade to having a pair of them soon, but that's the easiest part of the system to grow, and the rest is designed with growth in mind, so if feels like a smart way to start off. And, I managed to not spend all of the money I got out, so I have some more cash to play with as I get this or other projects rolling. And, the big deal is that I managed to get all of it together and on the mail run packing list, so they are taking it to Farafenni for me - hopefully without breaking the panel! It's a lot of gear, the batteries are big and heavy, so it's a huge help.

  I've been down here just over one day now, and I feel like I've gotten more done than in all my other trips. I decided that I simply had to approach Kombo more like a New Yorker, get all ramped up to deal with the different way of business here, and kick butt. So, I've been on a mission since arriving, and have been successful for the first time in "getting junk done". The Greater Banjul area may not feel like New York to many people, but that attitude has helped me enjoy it more here, and not get lost with my Africa style, which seems perfect in Fara Fenni but not so much here.

  I've finally started missing American media - March Madness to be specific. My Dukies have done well for themselves this year, and I might have some Muslims praying to Allah for J.J. and Shelden and the gang. And if they win it all, I'm going to ask somebody to buy me the games from iTunes. Because this is just too much to pass up. And, those smart people at Apple have now removed the final obstacle to me never owning a television again - I can just buy one of their video iPods and want hour long commutes so I can watch basketball. Ah, life...

  I'm a road warrior these days - got up at six yesterday to get a vehicle here, up at six today to get my work done, up at six tomorrow to get on a vehicle back up-country to a party at Lamin Koto (next to Jangjanbureh Island to you map watchers). St. Patrick's Day party with Irish people! (And Brits) One of my remaining tasks is to find some draft Guinness in cans to lug up. Probably not going to get too many, but one or two will be winning party gifts. Irish whiskey is a more intelligent gift in terms of portability, but this was requested and a touch more affordable.

  And then next weekend I'm back down here on my way to Ghana! That's starting to feel very soon, I'm looking forward too much (another one of those Gambian English expressions), and the vacation time will be very welcome. I never expected to have a Peace Corps experience where I couldn't find enough time to sleep, but here I am, running on a sleep deficit for ten days or so. Insomnia is back with me, and though I've started figuring out tools for getting past it, they tend to require a few long, uninterrupted nights consecutively, which I haven't had. So, I'm in bed for short hours, I don't sleep much, and I actually remembered those grand sleepless days at Duke yesterday. Who knew West Africa could be so busy? It has to be some commentary on my lifestyle that I can't find a consistently slow pace, even here. But, I love my life at the moment, and I'm certainly not complaining about being "the busy volunteer". And, most of my good friends here are similarly busy - Haji, Woman, Sarah, all have as much work as they can handle.

  One of the aspects of Peace Corps that comes into sharp focus is that people are always leaving. They are always arriving as well, but now it's starting to be people I've become close friends with on their way home, and it's sad. Happy for them to have completed service and be going on to another adventure, but sad for us to lose their company. So, we make new friends, we miss our departing friends, and hopefully learn something about the impermanence of all things. To all of you who I met here and have now gone on, we miss you, and leave comments or send email or, you know, telepathy or something.

  I am officially declaring myself cured of parasites. Now, I get to rebuild my digestive tract from all of the firebombing chemicals I have been ingesting. So, another thanks to those of you who included friendly helping pro-biotics in your care packages!

  This is officially complete ramble now, so I'm done. Trying to upload photos to flickr, so check there if you've got time. Love you all,
Zac

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home