Adventures in Living

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fourth of July and One Year away

Well, today is the one year mark on this adventure, and I'm going to the airport to pick up the new education group. I have been asked to work with them as they learn the ropes and get through the training process, which for me was a lot of fun, but for others was the hardest part of service. It's odd to realize that I'm now a veteran in Peace Corps standards, but the education group ahead of mine is mostly gone, and when I look around, I realize again that this experience has a lot of changes and turnover as a central part of it.

Last year I spent the 4th of July in Philadelphia, where it couldn't have been more obviously Independence Day. This time, I was travelling from Farafenni to Kombo, and mostly didn't notice except when a fellow American said something about it. All holidays seem to lose their meaning with distance from home. But, I'll be spending much time over the next few months with fresh-off-the-boat trainees, and I'm hoping they will inject some energy into things here.

I also hope to have more chances to write and post - I did upload a couple of photos the other day - so be on the lookout for more updates within the next weeks. Either that or noticable silence. Meaningless but possible. Hope all is well on the home front, things keep rolling along here...

2 Comments:

  • No one leaves comments, so I'm just checking if it's possible...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

  • Zac,

    It is indeed possible to leave comments. Could it be that all your loved ones back in the States are just incorrigibly lazy? Well that's certainly the case with me. Have checked in on you in awhile, so it's good to see you're doing well and assuming the status of veteran in the Peace Corps. That's what happens when you're 30!

    Be well,

    Gary Lazarski

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home