Adventures in Living

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tuesday, 10 October

We just had what will perhaps be the last big rain of the season. It's already the tenth of October, we'd not had more than sprinklings for a few weeks until last night, and I was already starting to notice the humidity falling. I think I'm more sensitive to the shifts this year - last go-round it seemed more monochromatically hot and humid, but having gone through the cycle of seasons once, I notice the coming aridity, the wide open skies, the coolness when taking a bath at night. I've been looking forward to November for so long, I can almost taste it already.
Last night my gutter project finally did what I'd been hoping for all along - filled the bathing bucket without any effort on my part. Ironic that it was in all likelihood the last rain, and the Harmattan winds will almost certainly play havoc with the whole thing. Ah, life.
Another project went into high gear yesterday, as I got fully into pushing the mice out. I put down a series of glue traps on Sunday, and exiled five mice in the thirty six hours following. It's not a nice business, but I try to be pragmatic and not feel too much about it, just the reality of living closer to the earth and not wanting to have mice run all over me. I'm also fighting termites throughout my house, and hoping that the end of the rains will sap them of their energy.
Ramadan continues, the past couple of days have been easier with cloudy skies and not being too busy. I suffered a bit last week, trying to travel, work, entertain guests and generally do too much to be fasting. We are now past the halfway mark, and people are looking forward to Koriteh and eating during daylight hours. I know now that I'll make it through, my body isn't cannibalizing itself or anything, and I'm just anxious to know how I'll recover afterwards, if I'll react strongly to having more food around. I am hopeful that I'll get back to regular exercise - I've been sporadic to say the least over the past week.
Obviously by the nature of this post, nothing is too dramatic here these days. Trying to inch forward, get people to listen to me and act in spite of Ramadan lethargy. And very much looking forward to a visit from my parents in mid-November! Maybe I'll be able to post this in the next couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home