Adventures in Living

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dakar, again

So, I'm back in Dakar.

Peace Corps flew me up here today - I was medevac'd(!) - so that the doctor here can examine my arm, which may have a ruptured tendon on the short head of the bicep. It's a long story that I don't find interesting, so I'll not write about it, except that there is some internal swelling which has pressed against the nerve so there isn't much pain, and as an extra bonus, there are numb sections of the forearm. I suppose I'm in some sort of denial or I don't know what, but the whole thing seems a bit run of the mill and not so exciting.

In other news, the weather is rather confused these days. Fara Fenni is getting warm warm during the days, but some nights are still deliciously cool, and it seems to be just the same thing again - I know I miss the four seasons, but a part of me is adjusted to the fluctuations here and I don't seem to mind. Yet. It's still all dry heat, so I'm happy. And on the coast, it's gotten colder. Colder. Africa has upset my internal thermostat, as I'm now sitting with a long sleeve shirt on over a t-shirt, and was actually cold walking around Dakar earlier.

As you can see, things don't feel very exciting at the moment. I find myself watching things a little more closely as the sense of time drawing short develops, but it's still four or so months away, and I want to be present for that time. Not in Dakar with something out of place in my arm. Life, it's good at providing challenges on its own time.

The college basketball tournament started. I know it would be exciting if I could watch some of it, but I had forgotten about the whole thing until I saw the headlines. Ah, America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home